Many dogs have sensitive stomach issues just like humans and your French Bulldog is no different. Frenchies have a very special diet which can sometimes be tricky to decode. Most of the time it is common allergies which cause sensitive stomach and gas problems. There are several solutions available to help treat your Frenchies sensitive stomach but one of the most important ways is to maintain their diets.
So what is the best food for french bulldog with sensitive stomach? Before looking into and buying foods for your dog you should find out what is causing your French Bulldog stomach sensitivities. It can be as simple as the dog being allergic to certain food ingredients or it can be early signs of a more severe problem. The sooner you can identify the cause the sooner you can decide the best way to treat the issue.
What to Look For While Buying Dog Food For Your Frenchie With a Sensitive Stomach
One of the first considerations a French Bulldog owner should look for in the food options you should consider are the quality, source of the nutrients, and proteins used in the food. If your Frenchie has a sensitive tummy I would recommend that you not compromise in the quality of those three factors.
While some animal proteins and fibers may be suitable for some dogs with stronger stomaches, your Frenchie may find it difficult to digest them. You should take note of your French Bulldog’s food preferences while buying their dog food.
If your Frenchie just has an allergic reaction to some ingredients in foods then you should look for the quality and source of the nutrients and proteins that are used in the food. Proteins and fibers can be suitable for some dogs but other dogs may have a hard time digesting them.
Many French Bulldogs are allergic to grains such as corn, soy, and wheat. Also ingredients like dairy, peanuts, sugar, meat and eggs can also cause harm in their tiny stomachs leading to sensitivity issues. Lets go over a few of these allergens.
French Bulldog With Sensitive Stomach – Food Allergy Issues
Lots of French Bulldogs have trouble digesting meat. For these little guys you will want to look for a food that is fish based.
Frenchies that have an allergy to grains will need a gluten free diet. You will want to look for foods made with Oats or barley. These options have no traces of wheat and make it a good choice for them.
You should never feed your French Bulldogs nuts as they have macadamias which can be really harmful to their health but also your Frenchie could be allergic to nuts causing severe reaction or death.
It is essential to check what type of nutrients a particular dog food is providing. The best type of dog food will provide not only a single type but multiple types to ensure a complete balanced diet. A balanced diet is more efficient in giving a dog all the protein and nutrition they require for overall wellness. We like our food to taste great and be made with the best quality ingredients so why would we not want that for our bulldogs
Now that you have all this information under your belt, let’s move on the list of dog food options that may be a good fit with your French Bulldog with a sensitive stomach.
Best food for french bulldog with sensitive stomach – The 8 Best Options
If you’re in a hurry here is the full list.
The Full Breakdown of Sensitive Stomach Food Options For Your French Bulldog
Here is a list of dog food options that can be a better option for your food sensitive French Bulldog.
Nulo Freestyle Adult dog food is one of the best manufacturing companies for dogs with sensitive stomachs. Nulo dog food comes with the essential nutrition and quality protein for Frenchies. Nulo’s Salmon and peas formula has animal based protein and probiotics to help keep your pups stomach in check. Because this food is grain free it allows for good digestion and helps the immune system. One of the prime ingredients is vitamin B6 and the best part is that all Frenchies’ breed sizes can be fed with the same food.
- Grain free
- Presence of Vitamin B6, lean meat protein and amino acids help with heart health
- Calcium content makes bones healthy and strong
- Suitable for dogs of all ages
- Not every dog will like the Salmon & Pea flavor
- This food is not to be used as the sole food provider. Growing dogs and pregnant dogs need more options for their diet.
Taste of the Wild High Prairie dog food is another premium brand that focuses on your French Bulldogs health. Taste of the Wild aims to give your Frenchie peaceful stomach functioning. This food is made from animal protein, peas, natural beef, chicory root, canola oil, sweet potatoes and other ingredients that ensure their food digests well. The presence of vitamins A, B, C, and E helps with healthy skin and the natural ingredients help to maintain the body, heart and overall health of your French Bulldog. Taste of the Wild food is also grain free allowing this food to be gluten free.
- Gives a health check on the nutritional needs of French Bulldogs.
- Dry toot chicory is easy to digest allowing the digestive system of your Frenchie to build a healthy immune system.
- Grain free formula makes the food gluten free and great for sensitive stomachs.
- Natural ingredients like peas, beef, tomato, sweet potatoes, fish meal, etc. allows the dogs to get enough protein and fats from natural sources.
- Because there are so many natural ingredients in this one food that are all directed towards a healthy stomach, there can be other issues of health in your dog so a check with your Vet is recommended.
- You will need to increase the amount of dog food given a little each day until you meet the suggested amount of dog food recommended in a single serving.
Canidae All Life Stages, Premium Dry Dog Food with Whole Grains is a great dog food choice as the recipe is designed for all breeds of dogs, including your French Bulldog, regardless of their age and size. This dog food is wheat, soy, and corn free since many Frenchies are allergic to them. Canidae is made with meats such as chicken, turkey, and lamb and contains antioxidants and probiotics. It also has six fatty acids and omega three. All of these things lead to a healthy lifestyle for your dog.
- Full of minerals and vitamins making it highly nutritious and vitamins.
- Free from all common allergens.
- Helps in assisting a healthy hair coat.
- Great for families with dogs of different breeds and ages. Making it a good choice for multi-dog families.
This is a dry dog food and doesn’t contain much moisture. You will need to make sure that your dogs are well hydrated and have water available at all times.
The size of the kibbles are large since this food is for all dog ages, however once the dogs get used to it there shouldn’t be a problem.
Click Here To Learn More About This Sensitive Stomach Food Option
Natural Balance L.I.D. (limited ingredient diets) Dog Food is a great choice for dogs that have sensitive stomachs and certain allergies. Along with being great for French Bulldogs this brand can be fed to all dogs. This dog is grain free and only has some selected sources of protein and carbohydrates. There is a Venison formula that allows the food to be rich in vitamin B and Iron. The Venison is in concentrated form which makes it perfect for French Bulldogs with sensitive stomach issues.
- Contains sweet potatoes that help in digestion.
- No artificial coloring or flavors are used.
- Limited number of ingredients.
- Can help with skin issues that are common with Frenchies.
- Since this only has the Venison flavor offer not all dogs will like it.
- This dog food is ment for adult dogs only.
- The kibbles are small in size and some large dogs don’t love this.
- It can be a price product.
Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach is specifically designed for adult dogs with sensitive skin and stomachs. The main ingredient is salmon which is known for its amazing nutrients and proteins and it also allows for a great taste that dogs crave. Purina Pro Plan also contains prebiotic fibres that help support good bacteria that is already within your Frenchies intestine and further helps with better digestion. This product also includes rice and oatmeal which is a great source of carbohydrates and is also easily digestible. Finally Purina Pro Plan contains fish oil which contains omega three and omega six fatty acids which help your dog have healthy joints and assist in skin issues.
- This dog food contains antioxidants to support the immune system.
- Being a salmon based dog food is great for dogs that are allergic to meat.
- This product is good for skin issues along with sensitive skin issues.
- If your dog is allergic to seafood this product is not good because the first ingredient is salmon.
- This product is only for adult dogs.
- This product is not grain free, however, corn, wheat, and soy are not present in this product.
Royal Canin Veterinary Low Fat dry dog food is another great option for a French Bulldog that has sensitive digestion issues. This product has been formulated to help dogs that are having a hard time digesting fats. Royal Canin is an adult dog food but is good for all breed sizes including French Bulldogs. The ingredients are carefully selected to help support a dogs healthy immune system and contain proteins which are easy to digest along with probiotics that will help make a good balance of bacteria within a dog’s digestive system and organs.
- Provides a special formulated diet to help dogs that struggle digesting fat.
- Can help dogs that are not feeling well including lack of appetite, diarrhoea, or vomiting.
- It contains prebiotics that allow for the correct balance of good bacteria in a dog’s digestive system and organs.
- This food is not suitable for dogs of all ages.
- Product is not free from grain making it not good for dogs with grain allergies.
- It is on the expensive side.
Blue Buffalo Basics is fantastic for all size and breed dogs. It has great taste and contains limited ingredients which allows for dogs with food sensitivities to easily digest them. This product has no corn, soy or wheat. It contains only single animal meat and uses turkey as the source of protein. Other ingredients include peas, potatoes, and pumpkin seeds. Blue Buffalo has been specially made with the help of Veterinarians and animal nutritionists making this a great choice for your French Bulldogs overall good health.
Product is made with turkey meat
Limited ingredients reduces the fat content helping with maintaining weight.
Has been made with the help of vets and animal nutritionist.I
Few ingredients allow dogs with sensitivities to easily digest the food.
It is only available in small bags.
The product is not grain-free.
Hill’s Science Diet was specifically made for dogs with sensitive stomachs. This product is only for adult dogs but can be given to any dog breed or size as long as they are adults. Hill’s is made with chicken, contains high protein and is rich in fibre from the ingredient barley. Frenchies need help keeping their skin from getting dry and itch and Hill’s has vitamin E which helps with this.
- Product is made with high quality, all natural ingredients.
- Contains antioxidants, vitamin E and vitamin C.
- This food comes in larger bags of food.
- It does not contain by-products.
- Food contains barley which can cause gas pain in dogs.
- This food smells strong and not all dogs like it.
- This product is also not recommended for dogs that need grain free or meat free diets.
Conclusion – Best food for french bulldog with sensitive stomach
All of these French Bulldog food choices are great for you Frenchie with a sensitive stomach. They all include ingredients which will offer the proper nutrients to keep them healthy, happy, and strong.
Most of these dog foods will also help with the maintenance of your adult French Bulldogs weight. You will need to make sure you make sure not to choose one of the above foods if your dog has any allergies to the ingredients within the food, for example some are meat based some have grains so you really need to know your doggies needs before you decide on a food above. Natural Balance L.I.D. is the best for dogs with multiple food allergies as it contains very few ingredients.
Finally you will want to keep in mind your French Bulldogs taste preferences. If he or she is not enjoying their food then you may want to try a different brand. Just like us your Frenchie will want to enjoy their meals!