Blueberries are known as a super food due to their rich nutrient profile but can French Bulldogs eat Blueberries? I will answer this question and give you some insights on Blueberries and your Frenchie.
Can French Bulldogs Eat Blueberries?
Yes, French Bulldog can eat blueberries. Blueberries are known as a superfood and are perfectly healthy for your French Bulldog to eat in moderation.
Blueberries are rich in various antioxidants that can help to prevent cell damage in your French Bulldog. Blueberries are also jam-packed with various phytochemicals and lots of fiber as well.
Are Blueberries Good For My French Bulldog?
Yes, absolutely, as I mentioned above they are full of all kinds of great nutrients for your Frenchie. I recommend only feeding them to your Frenchie in moderation.
Tip: Wash The Blueberries Before Giving Them To Your Frenchie
It is also very important that you wash your Blueberries so that you can removes harmful pesticides and any dirt on the fruit. In our household we typically buy organic fruits but regardless we always wash our fruit before feeding ourselves or our French Bulldog.
The Health Benefits Of Blueberries For Your French Bulldog
Blueberries are a deliciously-sweet and very nutritious fruit treat that you can feed to your French Bulldog. Blueberries are known as a “superfood” and they are very low in calories while packing a nutritional punch for your Frenchie.
Blueberries are a very tasty and incredibly-convenient fruit that you can feed to your Frenchie knowing you are giving them a nutrient-packed superfood. Of all the berry options blueberries are of the most nutrient-dense options you can feed to your Frenchie.
Blueberries are packed with:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
- Other nutrients in small amounts
- Antioxidants to protect your Frenchie from free radicals (one of the highest of all foods)
- polyphenols antioxidants called flavonoids
- Water to keep your Frenchie hydrated
The bottom line is that blueberries are full of amazing nutrients packaged in a low calories treat.
How Many Blueberries Are Ok To Feed A French Bulldog?
I am a big fan of the 10% rule when it comes to how many blueberries your Frenchie can eat. This rule simply states that 90% of your French Bulldog’s nutrition should come from their normal dog food and that only 10% should come from other sources, like blueberries).
In our household, we simply use blueberries as an occasional treat and not a regular fixture in their diet.
A Few Ways To Feed Your Frenchie Blueberries
There are a variety of ways to work this healthy treat into your Frenchie’s diet. There are lots of creative ways to feed your Frenchie blueberries. Here are a few of the ways we give our Frenchie blueberries:
- Blueberries as Treats – We routinely do mini-dog training sessions with our Frenchie. We have found frequent and short training sessions can lead to a better behaved French Bulldog. Often times, we will put a small handful of blueberries in our dog treat pouch to be used during a training session.We have our Frenchie practice sitting, staying, doing a “by my side” maneuver, etc and reward him with a blueberry or two on successful completion of his task.
- Blueberries Stuffed in a Kong – Another common way we will treat our Frenchie with some blueberries is to stuff some blueberries into his Kong dog toy. We simply wash the blueberries to remove any pesticides or dirt, then jam them inside his Kong and then let him go to work. He pushes the Kong around the floor and gets rewarded with the occasional blueberry that falls out. The Kong toy is a great mental engagement toy for your Frenchie and with Blueberries jammed inside you can rest assured knowing it is a great treat he is receiving.
- Blueberries Sprinkled on Your Frenchie’s Kibble – A simple way to incorporate blueberries into your Frenchie’s diet is to put his kibble in his dog food dish and then simply sprinkle some of this delicious fruit on top. We will do this especially if our Frenchie is being a stubborn eater.Sometime when we put his food in his dog dish he just snuffs and walks away. In this case, I will simply grab some blueberries and put a small handful sprinkled on top of his kibble. He then promptly gobbles it right up!
Final Thoughts – Can French Bulldogs Eat Blueberries?
French Bulldogs love blueberries and it is a very healthy fruit treat that you can give to your pup. They are very healthy and full of great nutrition that your Frenchie will love. Just feed them to your Frenchie in moderation and consult your Vet if you have any questions or concerns.
PS – Wondering what other fruits and veggies are ok for your Frenchie to eat? Check out this piece about feeding carrots to your Frenchie. Or this one about can French Bulldogs eat apples.