If you are reading this article you might be wondering “can French Bulldogs eat carrots?” You might be curious to know, is it safe for Frenchies to eat cooked carrots? Can French Bulldogs eat raw carrots? Well, I dove into the research to bring the answers to you. Here is what I found.
So, Can French Bulldogs Eat Carrots?
French Bulldogs can in fact east carrots as long as they are properly cut down to manageable bite sized pieces. Carrots are a very healthy vegetable and they are safe to feed your Frenchie in raw or cooked forms. With that said, there are some precautions I would give to any French Bulldog owner intending to feed their Frenchie some carrot.
The Health Benefits of Carrots For Your French Bulldog
Carrots can be a nutritious snack for your French Bulldog. It can act as a great little treat to reward your Frenchie during training. It is a very low calorie treat, can be a great option for a teething French Bulldog puppy, and can be great for your Frenchie’s dental health. Carrots are of course rich in beta-carotene which can help with your Frenchie’s eye sight. Carrots also are a great source of potassium, fiber, Vitamin A, and other vitamins.
Can Carrots Improve My French Bulldog’s Vision?
Carrots are rich in beta-carotene which is an antioxidant and is used in the production of Vitamin A in your Frenchie’s body. Remember when you were a kid and your parents would say, ” eat your carrots because they can help your eye sight!” The same can be true for your Frenchie. Incorporating some carrots in their diet can help improve their eye sight.
Some experts say steaming the carrots can help unleash the full benefits of this healthy treat for your French Bulldog.
Pro Tip – Frozen Carrots Are a Great Treat For a Teething French Bulldog Puppy
When your French Bulldog puppy is teething they may want to chew on anything, including your furniture and other household items you don’t want them chewing on. Frozen carrots may be a great treat to consider to help your teething French Bulldog puppy. Freezing some carrots and providing those to your Frenchie can not only help them with their teething but also provide some additional nutrition for your growing pup.
Carrots Can Support Your French Bulldog’s Dental Health
We have taught our human children to brush their teeth every day but our French Bulldog hasn’t picked up on these teachings. We have tried to brush our Frenchie’s teeth but it is a challenging endeavor for sure.
Another reason to give your French Bulldog carrots is that they can help support your dog’s dental hygiene. When your French Bulldog chews on carrots (frozen or otherwise), it can help improve their dental health. Chewing on carrots will combat dental disease, hep to get rid of plaque deposits in your Frenchie’s mouth, and assist in keeping their teeth in far better condition.
We have found steaming the carrots in our Insta-pot helps remove some of the toughness and makes for a great dental-friendly treat for our French Bulldog Augie.
A Few Ways To Feed Your French Bulldog Carrots
Carrots can be a great, non-toxic treat to feed your French Bulldog. I will share a few ways we treat our Frenchie with carrots but first here are some preparation tips:
- Wash the carrots first: we usually buy organic in our home but I would still recommend washing the carrots first to ensure there is no dirt or pesticides on them before feeding them to our Frenchie.
- Cut the carrots into smaller bites for your Frenchie: The last thing you want is for your Frenchie to choke on too big a bite of carrot. I recommend cutting the carrot into manageable bites before feeding them to your Frenchie.
Once you have washed and cut the carrots here are a few ways you can feed these to your Frenchie:
- Cut them up and use them as reward treats – when we are in the kitchen it is almost a given that our French Bulldog Augie will be in the kitchen underneath our feet hoping for a treat from above to fall to the ground. When we are cutting up carrots for a dish we will inevitably toss a small carrot slice to our Frenchie. You can also cut up some carrot pieces to be used for a dog training session in his dog treat pouch.
- Put small carrot pieces in a Kong – Our Frenchie loves his Kong especially when we stuff various treats inside it. We will often cut up some carrots and stuff them inside for a quick treat for our Frenchie.
- Grate some carrot over your Frenchie’s kibble – Another simple way to sneak some healthy carrot into your Frenchie’s diet is to simply grate some carrot and put that over your French Bulldog’s normal kibble. It adds a nice garnish and a tasty treat to mix up their normal meal time.
- Freeze small carrot pieces and plain yogurt in a Kong – If you like planning ahead and want to keep your French Bulldog occupied for a longer period of time this can be a great trick. First chop up the carrots, mix those pieces into some plain organic yogurt, and then stuff that inside your Frenchie’s Kong. Put that in the freezer for a couple hours and then reward your Frenchie with it. Just be aware this does make a bit of a mess so choose where you let them enjoy it carefully!
How Often Can A French Bulldog Eat Carrots?
I spoke to my Vet at Companion Animal Hospital who has a Frenchie as her dog and she said that it is safe to feed your Frenchie a couple small carrots every day if you wish unless they have known food allergies.
In our house we choose not to feed our Frenchie too much “human food” so we use give them to him sparingly and only as an occasional treat.
Are Carrots Bad For My French Bulldog?
No not at all. Carrots are a healthy, high-fiber snack with some excellent nutritional benefits. There are definitely other veggies that you shouldn’t feed to your Frenchie, but carrots are fine to feed to your French Bulldog in moderation. We give our Frenchie carrots as an occasional treat or put some shaved carrot on top of his normal kibble meal and he loves it!
A recommendation I would have for you is not to overdo it when giving your French Bulldog carrots as they can have some diarrhea issues if you give them too much. Carrots are high in Fiber so just keep that in mind when feeding some to your Frenchie.
Final Thoughts – Can French Bulldogs Eat Carrots?
The bottom line is that carrots are ok to feed to your French Bulldog. They are packed with some great nutrition, can help improve eye sight, are a great source of fiber, and they make a great treat to motive your Frenchie during a dog training session. If you have any doubts, be sure to consult with your Vet and ask them their thoughts.
If you’re looking for other nutritious and healthy snacks for your French Bulldog check out this article: Can French Bulldogs Eat Strawberries?